As Veterans Day and other important military remembrance days approach in November, you might want to show your Patriotism by shopping at various USA small businesses. First, thank you for that. We as Veteran Owned businesses appreciate that more than you may ever know. To further your Patriotism, you demonstrate that you want 100% USA Made liquids only!
Just look for the label “Made in USA.” Right? Not so fast.
Unfortunately, the label does not tell the whole story, often times not even close. In general, there are only a few consumer items available for purchase that have absolutely no overseas sources. However, when it comes to vapor liquids you do have a choice. As retailers you have a choice to sell 100% USA made liquids, as consumers you have a choice to purchase 100% USA made liquids. In previous editorials we already discussed quality issues, manufacturing differences and more when it comes to overseas sourced liquids.
The Fun Facts: With mass consumer products there are in fact, very strict guidelines that govern labelling products “Made in USA” or “Made in America.” To qualify, most of a product’s parts and materials, as well as the factories that assemble, must be domestic. It comes down to a “percentage value”. Because of this you cannot assume the total value that’s being adding to the American economy. In some cases it may be as little as 10%, while the remaining 90% is elsewhere (ie. China). Often times retailers are not aware of the complete details.
The Federal Trade Commission can even fine violators heavily. The problem is that it is mostly an honor system, and profit margins on overseas products simply end up more appealing to the manufacturer. Investigations by the FTC general do not begin on their own and the best they can really do is encourage doing the right thing.
A Look Beyond the Label: In the vapor liquids industry you may find the trickiest of labels, but here is a look beyond the label of some of them. It’s important to note that all of these get a ride on an overseas container ship and some point, but most if not all with have a form of “Made In The USA” written on them.
• Recipes formulated in the USA but mixed and bottled overseas.
• Ingredients sourced from the USA and sent overseas to be bottled, tipped, capped and labeled.
• Bottled for an American company, by a company that is located overseas.
• A company based in the USA buys ingredients from overseas sources.
100% USA Made. It’s the only way to go. Here’s what that means
It’s not the cheapest way to do business, but in our opinion, it’s the only way to do business.
By supporting 100% USA Made manufacturers, it not only eliminates potential safety issues, you are supporting our USA economy exclusively. SVBS
Ernie McIlquham is the President of Worlds Finest Vapors. He is responsible for overseeing all business, operations, strategy development and revenue growth across all divisions of the company. While at DENSO (Global Automotive Components Manufacturer) he developed an unparalleled understanding of global scale manufacturing which he brings to all facets of a standardized world class vapor liquids company. Contact him at 310.212.3111, firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit www.worldsfinestvapors.com.